Today was not a bad day, I just felt like complete and total shit. If I did not have an obligation, I swear I would have been sleeping on a couch sleeping somewhere. But anyway, I won't bore you all with my lose-lose situation chitchat. No need to have my readers all sad and whatnot. Any who.
I went to my old middle school to speak to the eighth graders in a program that I was in called Avid. It was a great experience. The kids were really interested in my college experience and what college life was really like. The best part about it was when I explained what an HBCU was. There was this little black boy in the front of the class and for awhile he didn't really seem interested until I said "Historically Black College and University". He started asking me all these questions about why the school was founded and what it was like getting an education with majority black students. It was great because I could tell that he was now a lot more interested in what I was saying. He was really excited after that whenever I asked for more questions. I think I may have opened his mind up a bit more.
It was a really great experience being a guest speaker and being able to help younger kids in my community.
No comments:
Post a Comment