If you didn't already know, an exciting time in my life is approaching fast. I am about to study abroad! Not once, but TWICE in a row! I don't know if I'm more excited to be going to Europe or just to be leaving home! I'm sure it's a twisted mix of them both but either way, I am jubilent and ready. Today marks 24 days to date that I will be getting on a plane headed to London, England for a three day excursion and then, off to Cannes, France from there. It's mind boggling how much my life is really about to change.
I never thought I'd be going to Europe or even studying French until it actually happened. And that's exactly how it came to be- it just happened. I pick up on languages so fast that it just became worth taking on as a major. Up until now, I can say I've wanted to quit and just stick with Spanish and Arabic about 65% of the entire duration of my studies. Not because of the language itself, but mostly because of the way I've been being taught up until this point. But now that I am about to travel to France, the motherland of the language, I feel like I am going to have so much more of an appreciation for the language, the culture, and all things french. Let me tell you, before my study abroad was in reach, I was a total pessimist when it came to all things French. In fact, the only thing I could truly say I like about it, is French Fries, which just so happens to be incredibly unhealthy AND not french (so I lose twice! :[ ). Now that I am only weeks away I am ready for the experience and ready to have my eyes opened to an entirely new world.
I chose Cannes because it is right on the beach. And Lord knows I love the beach. Imagine being able to take your books with you down the street and studying on the beach? On a regular basis! I can't even imagine what that is going to feel like. I can't wait to pick up a French newspaper and sit in a cafe and parle (talk) with the locals. I can't wait to answer questions about the states and see what the people of France think about americans, especially Black Americans. There is so much I can't wait to experience when I get there.
I want to share with you all some of my goals that way I'll be more prone to keeping them.
- Collect newspapers: Whether I understand everything or not, I want to gather a sufficient amount of reading and "collectables" that way by the end of my trip, even if I can't completely understand them, I one day will. And from those newspapers, I can say that those were the current events happening while I was there.
- Walk around the town as often as possible: I want to surround myself with the French language and really indulge in the city. I want to observe the people and really take it all in. Of course I will take plenty of pictures but I want to have vivid memories as well.
- Learn what the French think about African Americans: My whole life goal, as far as my international study and future international endeavors, is to see what the world thinks of African Americans and to help disintigrate those that are false. Upon my return I want to educate US on what people around the world actually think of us.
- Learn what the French have to say on health and fitness: Those who know me well know I am trying to lose weight and get fit! I want to see what their take on health, weight loss, and fitness are and see some of the ways that they lose weight or simply how they stay in shape!
- The obvious: Have better French! I don't want to graduate with a degree and not be able to speak a sufficient amount of the language. Do I think I will be 100% fluent in French? No, probably not. But I do think that I will gain a great amount of knowledge that will put me in a position where my French will only need minor improvements and I will need to learn some more vocabulary.
So those are my goals. I needed to get this excitement off of my chest and what a great way to do it?! Share it with the internet :)
No comments:
Post a Comment