Read More!

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Stop This Train

The whole concept of life being a rollercoaster or a ride is nothing new, so the fact that John Mayer compares it to a train does not qualify as original. What I like about this song is that he doesn't say what he actually means. "Stop this train, I want to get off and go home again. I can't take the speed it's moving in. I know I can't but honestly won't somebody stop this train." The song is totally talking about suicide. What I love about the song is that it is his whole struggle between wanting to kill himself and how his mind begins to change. By the end of the song he's passionate about life again and never wanting to "stop this train". The song is beautifully crafted.

I can't say I've ever wanted to stop this train of mine, although it has been a crazy crazy ride indeed. There have been times when I've wanted to slow the train down...Life tends to move faster than you want it to sometimes. This time a year ago I was hating the life I was living because I felt like I was going no where. My town, high school, and my own negative thoughts were holding me back from the process I could have been making. I tried to make the best of it but I just could not flourish. And now a year later I can honestly ask myself 'why was I complaining'? Things could have been so much more worse than they were. I was so focused on the bad that I let it consume me. I allowed it to make me feel incompetent. I come across tough times pretty often these days but I make it through each and every one. Sometimes, we aren't ready for the speed of our train, but we have to continue riding. We didn't hop this train to not get anywhere, am I right?

Stop This Train - John Mayer

No comments:

Post a Comment