The past few days I have been experiencing
homesickness and a number of other negative feelings toward my experience here
in Spain. I’ve become accustomed to the way of life here, I am now relying on
my daily siesta after lunch, and I no longer feel the need to go out and get
tapas regularly. To say the least, the honeymoon phase of being abroad is
completely over. Real life has set in. At this point, it’s not even home that I
miss, it’s just little things about the US that I miss so much. Not just my
loved ones, but that good ol’ American culture that we so often forget that we
have. I miss being made comfortable.
For starters, I miss people smiling at me when they
find themselves looking too long or too hard. It’s a simple gesture to say,
hey, there’s no problem. I was just intrigued by you but I hope all is well and
continue on with your life like this never happened. We take things like that
completely for granted. Truthfully, before I came abroad I had no idea that
Americans even had a culture. In fact, I was convinced that we were the only
culture in the world that didn’t have one. But the truth is we do. From smiling
to people in the street, from speaking to your neighbors when you walk by, from
that awesome southern hospitality, to the carefree summer life that we like to
live, it is all a part of our culture. Sure, they are small, but those are the
things I miss most about home.
Another thing I miss about home is the diversity in
the people. Some people may be getting tired of my continuous habit of mentioning
being black abroad but it is a fact that I will never be able to escape and it
is something I will continue to talk about. People need to be educated on what
happens abroad and learn to appreciate the diversity that we have been blessed
with. Diversity is not, by any means, a luxury that other cultures have. While
we still have our good ol’ American problems with race and prejudice, we still
must give credit to the growth that we have encountered. Here, you don’t see
races mixed with others. Not because there is an extreme dislike, but because
this country lacks diversity. I mean, they aren’t obligated to be diverse,
however the reactions of people when they see someone of another race or
culture (For example, women in hijabs) is comical and in many ways sad. They
stare as if they are trying to penetrate into your soul, they’re eyes glisten
with wonder and curiosity, and even some of them will have a look and deem
themselves better than you. I never thought I’d live in a society where I am
not only a foreigner but I am different in every single way. I’m sure a long
glamorous weave would have made this trip easier on me; however my skin still
gives me away. Africans stare at me just as much as the Spaniards do, and so do
the groups of foreigners that are here for sightseeing. I guess you could say I
am a sight to see here.
It’s interesting how I miss things from our street
signs, our mannerisms, to things like not being stared at like I am some sort
of exhibit. It’s also a very humbling and empowering experience. It’s not
comfortable being abroad at times. As Americans we already have a strike
against us simply because of the country that we are from. Any other
differences will just add more and more to the list of strikes against you that
will make you more and more uncomfortable. But in the midst of discomfort there
will always be growth. I have grown more in these past five months of traveling
than I have in my college career. Being faced with all of the cons of studying
abroad as well as my own personal battles has proven me to be a warrior at
heart. It has not been easy but I surely see growth.
Only time will tell how much I’ve really learned
from all of this though. Only continuing with my time here and completing my
semester abroad, will show me how much of a warrior I truly am. Only when I
finish will I learn how much I am willing to fight for the things I must do for
myself. Times like today and the past few days, I haven’t been too willing to
take on that warrior role. I want to hide in the arms of my strong man, cuddle
somewhere comfortable, and just be 100% protected by him. I want to be a walk
away from my girls and jump into their beds and complain about things like my
nails breaking, or my face breaking out. You know, girl talk. I want to go to
starbucks for coffee and use their free wifi until I can’t use it any more. I
want to walk into a store and be greeted by people who actually care if I spend
my money there. I don’t want to be a warrior today. I want to be comfortable.
I am taking this weekend to study for my midterms,
relax, and to let myself mourn a little for my comfort level. It’s not going to
get any better! I won’t be seeing land of the red, white, and blue for a long
time (50 days to be exact) and I have to prepare myself to be a warrior, even
when I don’t want to. Besides, I’m not home sick all of the time. I suppose for
the time being I will only be completely comfortable when I learn to find
comfort in discomfort. I have faith that I will find that balance.
Sorry, this post was written last week. Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment