It is official. I am not only done with my first semester in college, but I just received all but one of my grades! And I am proud to say that they are ALL A's. Three A's and two A-'s. I am expecting the last to actually be an A but we will see. If my spidey senses are correct, I will be finishing my first semester in college with a 3.91 GPA. Either way it goes, I will be more than happy. I accomplished so many great things this semester. I received an A in my math class which is something I NEVER did in high school. An A! Not an A- but an A. I have leadership positions in two of the four organizations that I am in. I would also like to become a class officer if the opportunity presents itself. I have an amazing family of friends and two very sisterly sisters (LOL!) who hold me down like no other has. I have been through more ups and down in one semester than my entire high school career. At the same time, college has been everything high school wasn't and more. I wouldn't change it for the world.
I can definitely say that I've grown as a young woman being in college. Being away from home really challenges your values and the person who you thought you were. I always was the decision maker. I was always the one my friends came to in regards to the next moves we would make. I was the level headed one and my judgement was trusted. For about a month or so, I had to reconsider that fact. I had to dig deep into myself and find that decision maker all over again. In all honesty, for a short amount of time, I lost her. I lost that part of me but by the grace of God she wasn't gone for long. I can definitely say I had moments of disregard to my own personal values. I am not proud of it but it came to pass. And now I am here. I understand why they were apart of my core values in the first place. It sometimes takes tragic events to put you in your place or to remind you where your mind should be. I went to college, found myself, lost her, and found her again.
I also had a slight mishap with this little heart of mine. One thing I can tell anyone going away to college, do not fall for someone who has yet to be there. Regardless of how much they want to be with you or regardless of how beautiful they say you are. Do not go into college expecting this Notebook, Love and Basketball, Disney princess movie, happily ever after. Kudos to those who found it, but I wouldn't put my heart in jeopardy I were you. I don't want to sound negative about relationships because in all actuality, I am very positive about them. I just want to put the warning out there. I haven't been truly heartbroken in a long time. And heartbreak, my friends, was definitely top 5 of the series of unfortunate events I experienced in college. NOT a good feeling. Either way, college opens you up to a number of different relationships whether they have a title or not. I have ran into some amazing people, and some awful (and illiterate -__- ) ones. It's amazing how you come to college expecting to be surrounded by intellectuals, and end up being surrounded by people whom you wonder "How in the hell did this person get to college?" And believe me, you will be stumped. But sometimes, you can also run into someone who intrigues you with their mind and their beautiful personality. Whether you get to be the lucky someone to have them as your own or not is all up to God and fate. When you come across the good ones, especially the good ones, appreciate having them around.
I don't want you all to think my experience was awful. By no means do I want it to seem that way. Of course, I'm not going to tell the whole world a detailed description of my little black book of personal issues, but just keep it in the back of your mind that things do indeed happen. I just want you all to see that even though it was challenging, it was amazing because I still look back and wouldn't change it for the would. I can still see all the positivity in everything that has happened. The crazy part is, that was only my first semester. I can only image what is going to happen next semester. And truthfully, I can not wait. Nothing like a kickass part two to a great movie!
I can definitely say that I've grown as a young woman being in college. Being away from home really challenges your values and the person who you thought you were. I always was the decision maker. I was always the one my friends came to in regards to the next moves we would make. I was the level headed one and my judgement was trusted. For about a month or so, I had to reconsider that fact. I had to dig deep into myself and find that decision maker all over again. In all honesty, for a short amount of time, I lost her. I lost that part of me but by the grace of God she wasn't gone for long. I can definitely say I had moments of disregard to my own personal values. I am not proud of it but it came to pass. And now I am here. I understand why they were apart of my core values in the first place. It sometimes takes tragic events to put you in your place or to remind you where your mind should be. I went to college, found myself, lost her, and found her again.
I also had a slight mishap with this little heart of mine. One thing I can tell anyone going away to college, do not fall for someone who has yet to be there. Regardless of how much they want to be with you or regardless of how beautiful they say you are. Do not go into college expecting this Notebook, Love and Basketball, Disney princess movie, happily ever after. Kudos to those who found it, but I wouldn't put my heart in jeopardy I were you. I don't want to sound negative about relationships because in all actuality, I am very positive about them. I just want to put the warning out there. I haven't been truly heartbroken in a long time. And heartbreak, my friends, was definitely top 5 of the series of unfortunate events I experienced in college. NOT a good feeling. Either way, college opens you up to a number of different relationships whether they have a title or not. I have ran into some amazing people, and some awful (and illiterate -__- ) ones. It's amazing how you come to college expecting to be surrounded by intellectuals, and end up being surrounded by people whom you wonder "How in the hell did this person get to college?" And believe me, you will be stumped. But sometimes, you can also run into someone who intrigues you with their mind and their beautiful personality. Whether you get to be the lucky someone to have them as your own or not is all up to God and fate. When you come across the good ones, especially the good ones, appreciate having them around.
I don't want you all to think my experience was awful. By no means do I want it to seem that way. Of course, I'm not going to tell the whole world a detailed description of my little black book of personal issues, but just keep it in the back of your mind that things do indeed happen. I just want you all to see that even though it was challenging, it was amazing because I still look back and wouldn't change it for the would. I can still see all the positivity in everything that has happened. The crazy part is, that was only my first semester. I can only image what is going to happen next semester. And truthfully, I can not wait. Nothing like a kickass part two to a great movie!
Hey! 1st time ever reading ur blog, and I like it. I go to LU too by the way.
ReplyDeleteI wish I had your mindset in my freshman year (I'm a jr.) I totally agree that being away from home can change you. I mean, my GPA has never been bad but I allowed a guy and other crap to mess with head and I paid for it by getting a 3.46 that semester. From then I vowed never again! Since then I'm a 3.8 upward kinda girl.
Anyway enough of the anecdotes, Kudos to u on not getting side tracked and be careful of the people you call your friends. I hope you keep up your good grades and I wish you all the best.
God Bless You :)
You are one of the first upperclassmen to give me positive feedback. Many of the others are so negative. "Good luck keeping it" or "You're only done your FIRST semester" or even "Half of ya'll take remedial classes anyway!" are some of this things a lot of 2015 has heard. I just want to say I appreciate you for being POSITIVE :) and I also appreciate your follow. PLEASE comment on how you feel about any of my posts.
ReplyDeleteAnd keep that 3.8 upward mindset. I am right there with you :)
smh don't pay attention to them. Surround yourself with people who plan to go somewhere in life. LU's filled with not so smart people, don't join them. i'm not saying be a nerd cuz I'm no bookworm, but if your grades become an issue step back from the party stuff till you're back in line.
ReplyDeleteAnd about the positivity, no problem! :) and thanks for following my blog.